01 – 28 July 2018 / 2019 / 2020
“He made great dreams a mould for coming things
And cast his deeds like bronze to front the years.
His walk through Time outstripped the human stride.
Lonely his days and splendid like the sun’s”.
Banks of Ganges, Foothills of Himalayas, Haridwar, India
10 million+ participate in this annual pilgrimage that happens only in Haridwar India. Devotees from across central and northern India begin their journeys the day after sighting of the full moon (27 July) of Saawan, the 5th month of the Indian calendar. Arriving at the banks of holy Ganga (Ganges) river in Haridwar, they pray, make wishes, and atone. They carry Ganges water in pots balanced at the two opposite ends of a bamboo stick (called Kanwar in Hindi). They walk back to their homes before the next full moon (26 Aug). The holy water is offered at a local Shiva temple.
A whole new local art landscape has emerged – devotional music, dyeing and printing on cotton fabrics, and designing of a variety of water containers. AZIMVTH ashram is situated about 100 metres from Ganges . Walking just outside, they head to their Ganges which is 4 km away.
- Sanskrit / Hindi
- Visual art
- Performance art
- New media
- Art of Life
- Visiting Ganges ghats,temples, ashrams
- Pilgrim interactions
- Local collaborations
- Print media coverage
- Local music instruments
- Conditional access to a Braille printing press
- Arts mentoring
- Life coaching
- Drawing / writing / performing projects
- Personal en-suite room
- Shared studio
- Twice daily Yoga teaching
- Om & mantra chanting initiation
- Daily lecture & discussion
- Options at other cluster-locations
- 3 meals, 2 herbal tea + snacks
- Sachet tea/ 24hrs
- Daily small basket of fresh flowers
- Towels, bedding
- Ayurveda doctor visit after every 3rd day
IMPORTANT DATES – July
1, 4, 14 Canada Day, US Independence Day (France) Bastille Day
16 Sun enters Cancer Zodiac, 6 month southward journey
17 World Emoji Day
27 Kanwar Pilgrimage starts
28 The Guru Student Traditions
30 UN Int’l Friendship Day
Grants of USD 500 / person liberally available.
28 days USD 1450
14 days USD 900
07 days USD 500
365 Arya Nagar Jwalapur
Read more –
- A River on Shoulders: Circa 1823, 1858, and 2017 AD in Haridwar
- The Art in Kanwar – 1858 and 2017, Stanford University
- Kanwar Yatra: Ganges travelling from Haridwar, on shoulders, with prayers