Spiritual Painting & Meditation of ‘Ritual of Breath-work’
15 June 2020 to 26 July 2020
An online art-residency of four weeks exploring spiritual dimensions of painting, creating new art-works, learning and leveraging a unique technique of guided meditation involving breathing.
- Plein air painters
- Visual artists
- Any other creative person
(Images above – Paintings by William J Turner – Grey Scale paintings are scenes from Haridwar where AZIMVTH Ashram is based. The third painting is The Fighting Temeraire and features on the new British Pound note.)
- Each week is a complete module in itself. The module repeats itself with newer themes and enhancements.
- The virtual art residency runs for 6 weeks. One may join for a maximum of any 4 weeks.
- Each session has no more than 9 participants.
- Each day there are 2 sessions, each of 1 hour duration.
- One hour is for learning theory and practicing of specific art.
- One hour is for learning theory and practicing meditation
- First 5 days (Monday to Friday) there are unique lessons and practice each day
- Saturday is for self-review and consolidation and learning
- Sunday is for closing of the week and share and discuss their creations
- Avail of unique opportunity to boost creativity catalysed by meditation
- Avail of unique opportunity to boost meditation supported with creativity
- Participation with online exhibition
- Participants’ artworks made during the residency will be made available for sale via the websites of JST (link) and AZIMVTH Ashram (link)
- Participants will receive 100% of the sale proceeds; no commission will be retained.
Guided Meditation – Theory & Practice 9:00 am – 10:00 am
9:00 am – 9:30 am – Concepts
9:30 am – 10:00 am – Live Practice
Q & A before 10:00 am
Creative Painting – Demonstration & Coaching 10:15 am – 11:15 am
10:15 am – 10:45 am – Concepts
10:45 am – 11:15 am – Live Practice
Q & A before 11:15 am
11:15 am – 5:30 pm – Participants continue with their own daily schedules. They find time to go over the learnings made during the morning 2 hours and make their arts.
6:00 pm – Post their progress online through a password protected page accessible only to the participants. Participants can also post their queries accessible only to the course-leaders. These will be answered offline via text.
9:00 pm – Each participant has an option of taking 10 minutes private individual session on meditation.
All time mentioned here is as in Tennessee, USA. To find your corresponding time, please use the converter here.
PROJECTS & PORTFOLIO
Each participant will create at least 2 art-works per week. One of these will be a common art being taught at the session. A participant who joins for entire 4 weeks will be helped with creating an additional large master-piece thus increasing her new portfolio to 9 pieces of art on the theme of wind.
PROJECTS Of PREVIOUS PARTICIPANTS
Art projects of some of the participants of previous virtual programmes can be seen here.
- WI-FI connection
- What’s App
- Zoom App
- Water color paper or sketchbook (or other) (around a 9”x12”)for quick sketches with a pen or pencil and your favorite medium (i.e. water color, oil, acrylic, pastel) Jennifer will be using a water color pen in black or brown, and oil paint for her demos. You will be required to do some color “sketches” in paint. So have a way to do several small exercises, not larger than 6×6 or 5×7 (which you can draw a several of those on a 9×12 size). If you are a sculpture, this will be used for sketching your ideas out as well.
- Color Wheel (you can find something on the computer that will be sufficient) be able to print it out
- Value Scale (you can find something on the computer that will be sufficient) be able to print it out
- Pen or pencil
- At Minimum you will need the following colors in Acrylic, oil, watercolor or pastels (if pastels just have a variety of reds, yellows, and blues in warms and cools and some earth tones)
- Yellow Ochre, Burnt sienna, Venetian Red, Burnt Umber, Cobalt Blue ( lighter cool blue), Cerelean blue (warm blue), Kings Blue (opaque blue), ultramarine blue (dark cool blue), Cadmium Red (warm red), Alizarin Crimson (cool red), Cadmium Yellow (warm yellow), lemon or Cadmium lemon (cool Yellow) Payne’s Gray.
- (we will not use these colors everyday, they just need to be available if you do the entire 4 weeks for the workshop as we will expand on them).
- A variety of brushes, starting with one you will “sketch or draw” with, a smaller one to larger ones that cover a lot of ground quickly.
- Mixing knife
- Paper Towels
- A way to clean your brushes (mineral spirits for oils, water for other mediums)
- A medium for your paint if you are an oil pianter that will help it to spread better such as Gamsol solvent free gel, safflower oil, walnut oil, etc.
- Acrylic painters may need an extender to keep paints from drying and a spray bottle.
- Pastel artists rubbing alcohol.
- 1 week: USD 260
- 2 weeks: USD 502
- 3 weeks: USD 708
- 4 weeks: USD 877
This virtual residency is led by Jeniffer Stottle Taylor. She has participated with a spiritual artist residency programme at AZIMVTH Ashram in Haridwar India. More information about her and her residency is here.
For making payment, please look at the bottom of the page here.
Resources for the accepted artists for this virtual residency are available here.